As stated in the Rules of Procedure, any person engaged or interested in mathematics or computing and their applications shall be eligible for membership in this Chapter.
Hence if you are interested in applied mathematics, either being a student desiring to get in touch with this discipline or if you are employed in academia or industry in this field, you will sure benefit from becoming a member of the "Charles University Chapter of SIAM".
The "Charles University Chapter of SIAM" has two types of membership, both of them are free of charge. The so-called "student membership" is intended only for students and allows them to get involved in the management and decision-making of the chapter. All others can become "associate members" of the chapter.
Why you will benefit from your membership:
- It will be easier for you to get in touch with people working in applied mathematics or, on the other hands, with students of this field
- You will be informed of all upcoming chapter events by means of a regular chapter newsletter
- You can get involved and propose chapter activities
Why especially students will benefit from membership:
- You can substantially influence the activities of the chapter. You can become a member of the Executive Committee and test your managing and leadership skills.
- If you ever felt that some opportunities for students are missing at the faculty (excursion, lectures from people in industry or other) in the student chapter you will find a team of people who will help to get these opportunities started.
- You have the possibility to vote for the people representing the chapter.
- And the best at last: You get (if you are a student of Charles University) free membership in SIAM, which itself has a lot of benefits like large discounts on SIAM journals (SIAM review, the best journal on applied mathematics due to ISI Knowledge is even free), discounts on entry fees for SIAM conferences etc.
Before becoming a member you are welcome to meet some of its members at the events organized by the chapter.